Naturopathy is an art and science of healthy living and a drug less system, It has its own concept of health and disease and also principle of treatment. In today's age, Naturopathy is Recognized and well accepted as an independent System of medicine. Naturopathy advocates aiding human system to remove the cause of disease i.e. toxins by expelling the unwanted and unused matters from human body for curing diseases. Nature is the greatest healer. The human body itself has the healing power to prevent itself from disease and regain health if unhealthy.
In Naturopathy, it is not the disease but the entire body of the patient which is caused and is renewed. Naturopathy cures patients suffering from chronic ailments in comparatively less time than any other form of medicine. Naturopathy treats all the aspects like physical, mental, social and spiritual at the same time. Naturopathy treats the body as a whole. According to Naturopathy, “Food is only the Medicine”, no external medications are used.
Some important treatments of naturopathy are: Mud pack, Mud Bath, Spinal Bath, Spinal Spray Bath, Steam Bath, Sauna Bath, Sun Bath, Wet Sheet Pack, Chest Pack, Abdomen Pack, Magnet Therapy, Acupuncture, Acupressure, Reflexology, Physiotherapy Treatments - Exercise Therapy and Electro Therapy. Naturopathic doctors treat their patients holistically i.e. taking into consideration their individual biochemistry, bio mechanics and emotional predispositions.
- Diet Therapy: According to this therapy, the food must be taken in natural form. Fresh seasonal fruits, fresh green leafy vegetables and sprouts are excellent. These diets are broadly classified into three types which are as follows: i) Eliminative Diet (Liquids-Lemon, Citric juices) ii) Soothing Diet (Fruits, Salads, Boiled/ Steamed Vegetables ) iii) Constructive Diet (Wholesome flour, pulses, Curd) These diets help in improving health, purifying the body and rendering it immune to disease.
- Fasting Therapy: Fasting is primarily the act of willingly abstaining from some or all food, drink, or both, for a period of time. Methods of fasting are water, juices or raw vegetable juices. During fasting, the body burns up and excretes huge amounts of accumulated wastes.
- Mud therapy: Mud therapy is very simple and effective treatment modality. Mud therapy is used for giving coolness to body. It dilutes and absorbs the toxic substances of body and ultimately eliminates them from body.
- Hydrotherapy: It is the treatment of disorders using different forms of water. Hydrothermal therapy additionally uses its temperature effects, as in hot and cold baths, saunas and body wraps.
- Masso Therapy: Massage is the practice of soft tissue manipulation with physical, functional, and in some cases psychological purposes and goals. If correctly done on a bare body, it can be highly stimulating and invigorating. Various oils are used as lubricants like mustard oil, sesame oil, coconut oil, olive oil, aroma oils , these oils also have therapeutic effects.
- Acupressure: Acupressure is an ancient healing art that uses the fingers or any blunted objects to press key points called as ‘Acu Points’ (Energy stored points) on the surface rhythmically on the skin to stimulate the body’s natural self-curative abilities.
- Chromo Therapy: Seven colours of Sun rays have different therapeutic effects. Water and oil exposed to sun for specified hours in coloured bottles and coloured glasses, are used as devices of Chromo Therapy for treating different disorders.
- Air Therapy: The advantage of air therapy can be achieved by means of Air bath. Everybody should take an air bath daily for 20 minutes or longer if possible. It is more advantageous when combined with morning cold rub and exercises.
- Magnet Therapy: Magnet therapy is a clinical system in which human ailments are treated and cured through the application of magnets to the body of the patients. It is the simplest, cheapest and entirely painless system of treatment with almost no side or after effects. The only tool used is the magnet. Also, magnetic belts are available for different parts e.g. Abdomen, knee and for wrist.
1. National institute of Naturotherapy
Bapu Bhavan, Tadiwala Road, Pune - 411001
Contact: 020-26059682/ 26059683 | website: www.punenin.org
2. S.D.M. College of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences
Ujire – 574240, Karnataka
Contact: 08256-236188 | website: http://www.sdmbnys.in/
3. J.S.S. Institute of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences
JSS INYS Navakkarai Palkkad Main Road, Coimbatore- 641105
Contact: 0422-2656471 | website: http://jssinys.org/
4. ALVA'S Education Foundation
Moodabidri - 574227, South Canara District, Karnataka
Contact: 08258-238104 / 238111 | website: http://alvas.org/contact/