An "Expert Committee for Health Manpower Planning, Production and Management" was constituted in 1985 under Dr. J.S. Bajaj, the then professor at AIIMS. Major recommendations are :
- Formulation of National Medical & Health Education Policy.
- Formulation of National Health Manpower Policy.
- Establishment of an Educational Commission for Health Sciences (ECHS) on the lines of UGC.
- Establishment of Health Science Universities in various states and union territories.
- Establishment of health manpower cells at centre and in the states.
- Vocationalisation of education at 10+2 levels as regards health related fields with appropriate incentives, so that good quality paramedical personnel may be available in adequate numbers.
- Carrying out a realistic health manpower survey.
Reference : www.nihfw.org